There are only so many reasons for your business to have a website. Make sure you know what you want your website to accomplish, and once you pick your reasons, make sure you're fulfilling each one as simply and user-friendly as possible.
- Tell people about your business, service and/or products
- Tell them enough about your business to get them to contact a sales person
- Sell your items/service, 24-7 online
- Promote your company 24-7 online in search engines (the new "phone book")
- Enable two-way communication between company and customers, employees and partners (blogs, instant chat, email, form data... etc.)
- Learn more about your customers and what they value; what they're looking for