Jul 16, 2007

I hate to see this.


Perusing bottles at the grocery tonight, I see "Jerry Garcia Wine." For some reason -- and I'm not a fan of the Grateful Dead -- this bothers me. When I get home to check out the story, (did he have a vineyard?) a typo in their site happens to clarify everything. In a link to learn more about the artist, the site says "to learn more about the Jerry Garcia, click here." "The" Jerry Garcia. That's it. He's an object. Just like ol' Elvis, he has heirs making all the money now.


Maybe the wine maker is making money because of that rabid Dead-Head following, but to the people marketing this (Clos du Bois), I say: C'mon. If your wine is any good, try a little harder than that. Just be honest with your brand. Why try to ride someone's coattails if you want to put out something remarkable?


I'm sure the wine is less-than-average fermented grape juice, they're cashing in on suckers (probably still trippin'), and laughing all the way to the bank.
Hopefully your work means more to you than just preying on the weak with a sub-par, whorified product.

No comments: